Guidelines for the 2016-17 Competition (These will be approximately the same dates for the upcoming 2017-18 school year) This sounds like a winner of a contest for Bay Academy!!
There is a $125.00 fee associated with this contest. Prizes ranges from $20,000 for 1st Place to $5,000 for 10th Place (This is where one Long Island school placed this past year).
3-10 Students per Team
- Submit an application for a team of three to ten students (grades 7-12) before December 2, 2016.
- Build a model rocket that carries one raw hen egg to an altitude of 775 feet, stays airborne for between 41 and 43 seconds, and returns all parts of the rocket to the ground using recovery devices of the team’s choice, with the section containing the egg and altimeter recovering separately from the rest of the rocket.
- The rocket must have a gross liftoff weight of no more than 650 grams, a minimum length of 650 millimeters, and be powered by commercial rocket motor(s) of class “F” or smaller with no more than 80 N-sec of total impulse across all motors. It must use two different diameter body tubes, with the lower tube being no greater than 42 millimeters in diameter.
- Fly your rocket for an official qualification score between September 1, 2016 and April 3, 2017.
- If your score from the sum of two flights is one of the 100 best, you will be invited to compete for a share of the $100,000 prize package in a national fly-off on May 13, 2017.